What's on this summer
Be part of the adventure this summer at Glasgow Science Centre!
In the Science Mall
Visit the three floors of the Science Mall where you can play for the day with over three hundred exhibits! There are screens to touch, buttons to push, gears to crank and lots of things to get your hands on. You can perform a virtual autopsy, move objects with the power of your mind, run on our sprint track, feel the force in the hurricane booth and boogie on the energy dance floor. If you have little ones, make sure you visit our under 7s area which includes a soft play area.
Find out what happens in a nuclear chain reaction, or get energetic and race the family on our Scalextric track in Powering the Future. After a visit to BodyWorks, you'll never look at your body in the same way again.
Plus discover the incredible potential of a fast-expanding field of physics and what it could mean for future tech and careers in our new interactive exhibition, 'Quantum Technologies: Making the invisible visible'!
Go for a run in our Giant Hamster Wheel exhibit
Included in your Science Mall ticket are some fun activities, workshops and shows.
- Visit The Crunch Zone on Floor 2 throughout the summer to discover how we turn crops into everyday ingredients. There are drop in activities for all ages between 11am and 3pm every day.
- Young explorers can investigate air and make a wind powered car in Huff and Puff.(Recommended for under 7s)
- In Mindstorms Driving Test, program a Lego Mindstorms robot to simulate a driverless car in this introduction to robotics. Who knows - you could become a robotics engineer! (Recommended for over 8s)
- Great creative with circuits in Engineering with Electronics using our super user-friendly Little Bits kits. (Recommended for over 8s)
- Make your own lungs as you find out how we breathe and how our bodies use oxygen to sustain life. (Recommended for over 8s)
- Try out our Virtual Reality headsets and get thrown into a new situation. Find out how this new technology can be used every day and in industry. (Strictly for those aged 13 and over)
- Things are heating up in the Science Show Theatre for Flame On! The Science of Fire - it sparks into life from 5th August! (Suitable for all the family)
In the Planetarium:
For £3.00 you can add on a visit to the fulldome digital planetarium and explore the cosmos with our expert presenters or see a fulldome film.
- Space Explorers- The perfect show for younger visitors to our new digital planetarium. Explore the night sky and take a trip to the Moon before flying through the solar system to see a planet up close.
- Wonders of the Night Sky- Take a dramatic tour of our solar system, from the International Space Station to distant planets, and then head into interstellar space as we explore our galaxy and our place in the cosmos. From 1st July, enjoy the Extra Galactic show which will take you from the deserts of Australia to beyond the edge of the Milky Way looking at a universe full of galaxies and the places that life might be hiding in our cosmos. This show is suitable for ages 8 and over.
- Extra Galactic- This Extra Galactic show will take you from the deserts of Australia to beyond the edge of the Milky Way looking at a universe full of galaxies. This show is suitable for ages 8 and over.
- Back to the Moon for Good (fulldome film) - Narrated by Tim Allen, this is a complete behind-the-scenes feature on the $30 million Google Lunar XPRIZE, the largest incentivised prize in history.
- We are Aliens (fulldome film) - Are we alone? Is it possible to find life beyond earth? Take a journey to find out in this Rupert Grint narrated 360° Planetarium film from the award-winning NSC Creative team.
To book tickets to the Science Mall and the planetarium, please call 0141 420 5000.
Take the 2.5 minute journey to the top of Glasgow Tower where you can enjoy unrivalled panoramic views of the city, the Clyde and the landscapes beyond. You will be able to explore a virtual panoramic view on iPads using new GAR (Geo-located Augmented Reality) technology to see all 360° around the viewing platform and zoom into over a dozen places of interest, accessing contemporary and archive images, whilst keeping your feet firmly in the viewing cabin. Tickets cost £3.50 add on to your Science Mall ticket or £6.50 for a standalone visit to the Tower.
In the Cineworld IMAX at Glasgow Science Centre
Take in an incredible 3D film that puts you out in space, or transports you to far flung corners of the globe to see amazing wildlife!
For the latest movie releases and to book tickets visit www.cineworld.com